14 September 2015
Elements for Press Statement by Security Council on Situation in Occupied East Jerusalem
· The Security Council expresses its grave concern about the disturbing developments in Occupied East Jerusalem, particularly the series of recent provocations and incitement at Al-Aqsa Mosque compound and the rising tensions in this regard.
· The Security Council calls upon all parties to cease all provocations, incitement and acts of violence. The Security Council called for full respect of international law.
· Religious extremists must not be allowed to impose their destructive agendas and must not be permitted to destabilize the already-fragile situation on the ground. Political and religious leaders have a responsibility to act against extremists, who undermine the rule of law.
· The Security appeals for the restoration of calm and calls for full respect for the sanctity of this Holy Site. Muslim worshippers at Al-Aqsa Mosque must be allowed to worship in peace and tranquility, free from violence, threats and provocations.
· It is imperative that the longstanding agreements and understandings regarding Al-Aqsa Mosque compound be honored and respected by all parties and that no measures be undertaken to alter or affect the historic status quo in this regard.
· The Security Council calls upon the parties, along with all concerned parties, to exert immediate and serious efforts to resume dialogue and launch a credible political process aimed at achieving a just, lasting and peaceful solution to the Israel-Palestinian conflict on the basis of the relevant United Nations resolutions, in particular Security Council resolutions 242, 338, 1397, 1515 and 1850, the Madrid Principles and the Arab Peace Initiative.