Pages

Monday, October 19, 2015

Ban's letter to Hadi of Yemen: New round of talks "based firmly" on 2216

This letter was sent from the UNSG Ban Ki Moon to the Yemeni President Hadi on October 15, diplomats said. 

15 October 2015
Excellency,

I would like to express my sincere gratitude for your assurances of support to the United Nations when we met on the margins of the General Debate on 30 September 2015 in New York and as outlined in your letter of 7 October 2015. I particularly appreciate your determination to reach a peaceful settlement of the conflict in Yemen and your intention to continue working to that end with my Special Envoy, Mr. Ismail Ould Cheikh Ahmed. 

I recall that you have noted the importance of a clear commitment by the Houthis and their allies to the implementation of United Nations Security Council resolution 2216 (2015) before peace talks could commence. My Special Envoy has actively encouraged the Houthis and their allies to provide a clear statement of their acceptance of Security Council resolution 2216 (2015). Indeed, the consultations that the Special Envoy intends to convene are based firmly on Security Council resolution 2216 (2015) and seek agreements based on this and other relevant Security Council resolutions, the Gulf Cooperation Council Initiative and the Outcomes of the Comprehensive National Dialogue Conference. 

I have been assured by the Special Envoy that the Houthis have conveyed their clear acceptance of Security Council resolution 2216 (2015) in their recent discussions with him. Their recent letter addressed to me also confirms this acceptance. 

Based on this commitment, I trust that you will now be in a position to authorize the participation of your Government in a new round of consultations with the Houthis and their allies. To this end, I am requesting my Special Envoy to travel to the region immediately to consult with all parties on the venue and timing of the consultations. 

I sincerely hope that a rapid end to the fighting and the return of the country to a peaceful and orderly transition could be found through this new round of consultations. Only in this way, can we ensure that the growing loss of innocent lives is stopped and Yemenis are no longer subjected to the terrible suffering which they have faced in recent months and years.

The National Dialogue Conference, which Your Excellency presided over in 2013 and 2014, produced a vision for a new Yemen characterized by inclusive governance, respect for human rights and the rule of law. I very much hope that through these consultations, the country will start on its path out of violence and back to this inspiring vision. 

Please accept, Excellency, the assurances of my highest consideration.


BAN Ki-moon
Follow me on Twitter @NabilAbiSaab

No comments:

Post a Comment